Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Friday 28 June 2013

Malta Road National Championships Round-up

Photo courtesy of Kevin Mifsud
There are 3 Races in the Road National Championships. This year they took place in San Martin, Nadur (Gozo) and Zurrieq. After winning the first round at San Martin I placed second in the next round at Nadur. And therefore entering the third and final race, saw MarieClaire Aquilina from Team Greens and myself with even points and Caroline Zammit in 3rd place. So going into the last race the championship was still wide open. They set us off as usual with the elite male, 40 and 50 plus categories. The pace was steady from the start and as predicted the race came down to a sprint finish. With 3 laps to go there was a crash. Luckily I braked and went round it but unfortunately some riders could not avoid it. MarieClaire was involved but luckily it didn't take her long to get back to the group. As predicted the race came down to a sprint finish. I had a chat with Pierre Borg (Agones CC rider) just before the race where he talked me through the sprint finish. I followed his suggestion, gave it all I had to cross the finish line 1st, with MarieClaire in 2nd place and team mate Caroline Zammit (Agones CC rider) in 3rd place who sprinted to finish ahead of Hannah Pace (The Cyclist CC). 


I would like to thank all the Agones Club riders and backup team for their support throughout these championships, to Steve Wright for continuing to coach me to the best of my abilities, and to RDRitalia for creating my new marvellous racing machine. 

Thanks to all the GB cycling team for their support, and to Zipvit and Specialized our team sponsors.

I now look forward to join my team mates in the UK and finish off the season racing for GB Cycles Ladies Racing Team.