Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Thursday 20 June 2013

London nocturne


Arriving at the london nocturne crit, I was immediately excited by the atmosphere which was continually growing as it grew closer to the main elite races of the evening. Watching the fold up bike race followed by the penny farthing race I was getting more and more excited about racing the elite criterium full knowing I was going to be completely blow out of the water as there was 3 Olympic champions, a world champion RR, a European cyclocross champion and the 4 time winner of the last 4 London nocturnes riding. Karen arrived in plenty of time and we began our warm up.
Standing on the start line the main hitters of the race were called up to take front row of the  crit before the rest of us mere mortals surged forwards to try and get as near as the front as possible. The horn sounded and that was it we set off at about a million miles per hour which only increased in speed as the race went on. Heart beat pumping out my chest , my adrenaline levels were only increased by a girl crashing hard into the barriers on the first lap, certainly dramatic! I can't quite say how long I managed to stay in before I was dropped as it was such a blur but soon enough I found myself in the 3rd group back and raced around until the whole field apart from the top 6 break away riders were lapped at which point I retired having thoroughly enjoyed myself. Karen had a rough start with her clip in but raced hard and I think she also enjoyed the race. I can honestly say although it may have been my shortest ever race it was definitely the best I ever been to in terms of crowd and the atmosphere and I will definitely be back and abit more prepared for the speed next time! Thanks to Steve ' o Steve for coming on the tube to watch and also Our very own sponsor Mr Stephen D for coming and supporting us also.

Brit