Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Sunday 7 July 2013

Curlew Cup

Right here goes, time to catch up on the last weeks races.  Let's start with the Curlew Cup, last Sunday, 30th June.

Karen, myself and Jo who has been guest riding for us this season started the race.  Having ridden the race last year and it proved to be a good race for me, so this year was hoping for similar.  I was hoping for the race to break up.  But this year was different, it was a larger field of around 60 riders and the pack stayed together until the last lap where 3 or 4 riders went clear.

For me today was about staying with main pack, I moved up when I could, but as usual found myself at the back most of the time.  Last lap last time up the drag, a nearly came down, when a rider stopped dead in front of me going up the drag section of a hill.  I had no where to go, I hit her, but luckily stayed up right.

By the run into the finish i had somehow managed to move up through the bunch for when it really mattered.  I was on Karen's wheel coming into the last couple of bends, Karen who had been up front all race, and had even tried a few attacks.  I knew what was going to happen, as we found ourselves on the inside coming into the finish.  Karen had to slow as we were squeezed on the inside as the barriers narrowed.  I had to check my speed and continue, losing several places.  I finished 21st, Karen 20th just inside the points.

Iona