Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Thursday 20 June 2013

Surf and turf 2 day national series


The surf and turf 2 day event started off with a 1 lap sprint around a 1k lap. Last year I came 7th in this and I got dropped in the crit showing how unfit I was last year yet I still had a good sprint so I knew I could get a good result in the sprint this year considering I've improved my fitness. This turned out to be the case as I manage to take 8th in the sprint. This set me up for the rest of the weekend really as I had a very poor crit. I put this down to taking a weeks recovery prior to the race to rest an on going tendonitis issue I have with my knee which made the fast pace very tough on my lungs and as a consequence I got a poor position in the crit but finished with the main bunch so kept my place in GC.  The RR the next day was flat! An actual road race that didn't have a bloody hill in it! I knew this meant I would stay with the main bunch and it would be unlikely that a break would stay away as we set a high pace which helped my pre race nerves. Again this was the case with one attack managing to stay out for afew laps before the bunch decided to pull her back in. I didn't realise that I had kept my place in GC in the crit as I got such a rubbish result and same again in the RR I finished just in the main bunch again so it was a big surprise when I was called up to take some prize money in the presentation for 8th overall GC. Chuffed!

Brit