Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Saturday 2 February 2013

Croft Season Starter Races

Saturday 2nd February, and while Sandra plays at riding bike boxes (a new southern sport by the looks of it! None of that up here!) I headed to Croft Motor Racing Circuit for the first race of the season.  It was a cold day, but glorious sunshine.  I decided to race the 4th cat men's race, for which the organiser had added a Women's category too at the last minute, and then also the Elite to 4th cat handicap race straight after.

I watched the hardy souls braving the weather in their arm and leg warmers but I opted for my warm and cosy GB cycles bib tights and long sleeved jersey. After all, it's winter!

We set off and I hit the front straight away. Why, oh why do I always do that?!  Anyway all good and I got myself sheltered in the bunch.  It was 8 laps, and we went round and round the track. Not much to report, other than a crash 2 laps from home.  There were about 5 girls riding. One got taken out by that crash.  That left just 4 of us to sprint it out, 2 of whom I wasn't too worried about. The other (Katherine) I know can sprint.  I was the furthest back in the bunch out of all of them.  We got to the home straight, the men were all over the width of the track, and believe me it's a wide track!  It was like doing slalom but on bikes!  I sprinted hard all the way to the line, I couldn't see any of the other girls ahead, but still wasn't sure if I'd got it, as Katherine had been ahead of me.  As it turned out, I had and I got my entry fee back!

After a quick change of numbers and the prize presentation for the first race, it was straight back to the start line for the Handicap Elite to 4th cat race.  I set off with the 4th cats again, and as if 8 laps wasn't enough this time we had 15 laps or 30miles of the track to do!  We were off,  and again I found myself at the front, I  started to try organise the group to work together.  I'd rather work hard in group for as long as I could before getting dropped.

I found myself mid-bunch, with a few of the stronger 4th cats driving the pace.  A few laps' in and I found  myself slowly loosing contact with the  bunch.  I glanced back and saw a massive gap behind.  Damn, I needed to hang on as we'd already lost 1/2 the bunch, but no I was out the back!  There are two sections you can get a good rhythm and really drive the pace, but then there are equally 2 sections where you hit the block headwind, and on your own this isn't fun!

Anyway I time trialled my way around the course for most of the 30 miles on my own.  Now and again being able to jump on the back of a passing group, before being spat out the back pretty quickly again..  I seemed to always have a carrot to chase of two riders dangling in no-man's land just ahead!

By the last lap the only other girl in the race caught me, having been towed around by one of the lads for most of the race! It was a drag-race to the line. It was close but she just got it. Oh well. No prizes for winning that one!

It was good to be back on the bike, after what was January, and good to be racing again!  Now for that reliability ride tomorrow and an early start of 7am!  As I write this now I can't even bear to think about it, still at work and doubt I'll be back any time soon... try 2 am and you might be somewhere near. Rubbish!!!