Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Tuesday 6 November 2012

Cycle Club Sudbury Hill Climb 4th November

On a very very wet Sunday morning, my local club , cycle club Sudbury, were hosting their annual EDCH Hill Climb.
It's a very short climb, and last year having won it I was keen to retain the title. On seeing the start sheet, i knew being the fastest lady up this year would be a very hard pushed task as I noticed Clare Lever of Zappi's was down to ride, I was rather curious as to why one would drive all the way from Oxford for a very short hill climb, easy answer, family in the area, what a small world.
It's now 7 months on since my cruciate ligament reconstruction, and things have been going really well for me, and I have been getting stronger and fitter all the time since I started back racing with the team in August.
The weather was not going to ease up on Sunday, pouring rain, leaves on the road, not to mention the odd bit of mud, but we had some very loyal supporters out cheering  us up Semer hill every step of the way, and I would like to thank all those people standing out in the rain for the duration of the race.
I had the same conversation with myself last year, as i did this year leading up to my time to go, big ring or little ring, big ring or little ring, and as last year, I whimped out and chose the little ring. Whilst I felt like I was spinning too much to start with. It's just the last little bit, and then before you know it it's done and over with, and needless to say I had the same conversation with myself at the finish as I did last year, "I should have ridden in the big ring" next year maybe the big ring!! it doesn't seem to matter how many times one rides up a hill, racing it is different, and for me I think I need to learn to trust my gearing.
Back at HQ was some welcome warm cups of tea, and similar conversations going on , big ring or little ring.
The results came in and Clare did brilliantly with a 1:02 and myself a 1:07 , good times considering the weather conditions, and once again a superbly organised local event, not put off by the awful weather.