Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Sunday 24 February 2013

Winter in the Park, Gravesend, 16th February

 As spring arrives, its time to start getting the legs used to racing again, and now I'm based down south, the Cyclopark at Gravesend provides a cracking venue for early season races.

I was very impressed with the Cyclopark - not just the road circuit but also the BMX and MTB tracks, which were heaving with kids playing on their bikes.  This is great to see for the future of the sport.

Based on what I had been told by both Sandra and another friend of mine who have already raced in the series, I wasn't expecting a separate E/1/2 race, but as 30+ women lined up on the start line, 7 of whom were E/1/2, we were set of  separately.  I knew it was going to be a hard race as the Nocturne winner Clemence Copie lined up, alongside 2 riders from the new team 'Les Filles' and Gravesend regular Jasmijn Muller.  Everyone was up for a hard race right from the start as we were stretched out in a single line within half a lap.  Very quickly we were catching the slower men, and using them as carrots.  I did a big turn on the front at the start of the third lap, and then suddenly found myself being churned out the back on the hill back up to the finish.  I wasn't the only one, and quickly paired up with Jasmijn and we shared the workload for the next few laps.

By this time, we were starting to be caught up by the faster men, and tactics of jumping onto the back of men's groups started to come into play.  Jasmijn went first and left me behind, and I went into TT mode as I saw up the road that she hadn't stayed with them.  I was very gradually closing the gap, and could also see Keira (McVitty) who had been dropped from the lead group getting closer and closer as well.  The gap was closed with 3 laps to go as I got a tow of the first group of men who were actually going at a reasonable pace.

The last 3 laps was all about hiding in the group of men and saving as much energy as possible, and keeping an eye on where Keira and Jasmijn were as well.  Keira had been churned straight out the back (which I hadn't noticed during the race), and Jasmijn had dropped back too, so I didn't wind myself up for the final uphill sprint (or in all honesty, didn't have the legs left to do so).  Jasmijn came storming past me.

The race was won by 'Les Filles' rider Alexie Shaw - she will be one to watch this season.  My finishing position was 6th, which was not too bad for a first race of the season without any speed training yet!  There is definitely more to come.