Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Wednesday 6 February 2013

Sandra Races The Winter In The Park Series 6

Saturday 2nd of September and a much needed outing to the great Kent Cyclopark. This is a great facility for all, with skateboarding, scooters, bmx, mountain biking and the fabulous closed-circuit road.

Finish Line Events have put on a series of races at the park, with races for all categories.
Steve Wright our team manager met us there, and with a lovely surprise for me: my new Polaris Bike Box, kindly supplied by GB Cycles.co.uk.

I thought it was quite a good addition to our Team GB Cycles challenges: bike box racing...

For me, I very much needed a race. I think after Christmas and New Year I needed that race feeling... and by golly there is nothing quite like a race to get you back into shape and make you realise you need to work harder!

There was a nice field of girls out for the Womens 3/4 event, starting a minute behind the Mens 3/4. We soon set off and the pace was fair for the first few laps. Then (to me) it seemed to increase to the point that I lost contact with the main group of 5-6 girls. Nevertheless, I continued to work as hard as I could, loving all the cornering involved. I find the course quite interesting: slightly longer than other courses at approx 3km.

I worked with another rider for a few laps, but three quarters of the way into the race, I needed to control my own pacing and lost contact with her. I managed to pick my pace up again, lapping some of the boys, and at the final last two bends lapped a trailing group of girls to roll in 7th.

Overall I am pleased with my performance, given too much of a break over the Christmas and New Year period, but a race is just what I needed. Thank you Steve so much for meeting me there and giving me some much needed encouragement.