Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Monday 18 February 2013

Cross Country Skiing in the Pyrenees

I thought it the perfect recovery day to take to the mountains on a set of cross country skis.

My coach Steve Hall took me up to Cap Nestes on yet again a lovely sunny and warm day. Steve's son had left earlier that morning on a school trip, which I thought was a great way to spend a day at school. They get 8 trips up to the mountain each season and they spend all day there.

Having never been on skis before, I was wondering what I was letting myself in for but the boots felt like slippers, and I felt quite comfy whilst clipped in. So skis on, poles at the ready... off we went...

Up first onto the green route, which was about 3.5km. What a great workout! I soon got into the rhythm, and was talking, I think I have found a new sport. Then came to the downhill, and sticking in the tracks is great, but then when you come out, you have to have some control, and this I found quite amusing as I got speed up through being over confident. I ended up hitting the deck a fair few times.

Back to the station, a much needed coffee, then back out around the 6.5km blue route. The flat and up hills were great, downhills were really great, but still the odd crash but all in all a great workout! And a sun kissed face, and I wasn't expecting that in February in the Pyrenees.

Tomorrow will be a cycle trip to Lourdes - on a pilgrimage, to drink the holy water... and come back pure and yes, very simple.