Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Tuesday 10 September 2013

RTTC National Circuit Time Trial Championships

In 2012 I entered the National 10 and 25 mile Time Trials on a whim; I knew I had improved dramatically from the previous year and I wanted to see what I could do against some of the best TT riders in the country.  To my surprise I finished 8th in the 10 and 9th in the 25 (results that helped me obtain my University Full Blue – a Cambridge sporting accolade).  Following this success, I aimed higher and set myself the goal of achieving a podium placing in a National TT in 2013.

Back in late May and early June I finished 4th in both the RTTC National 10 and 25 mile Championships.  I was extremely disappointed with this, especially the 10 where I was only 13 seconds off Hannah Barnes who finished 3rd.  Looking back, it seems silly to be disappointed with 4th in such strong fields and at the time my friends pointed out how good the result was.  I know that on both days I pushed myself as hard as I could and that I just didn’t have those extra seconds in me.  I was also disappointed to have only finished 17th at the British TT Championships in Glasgow in late June, a result I am determined to improve on next season.  Still, I knew that I had one more chance at the end of August in the Circuit Time Trial Championships to attain one of my season’s goals.  With little on the road calendar in August, I had plenty of time for focussed training and spent some time re-familiarising myself with my beloved TT bike (Pegasus), having not time trialled since BTTC.



I’ll fill you in with other events I did in August, in preparation for the Circuit Champs, later this week (I know there is a limit to how many cups of tea and biscuits can be consumed in one sitting).  For now, back to Nationals…

One thing that has really helped me with my road racing this season has been doing cornering practice with a friend (who also happens to have been a pro in Italy).  Knowing that there was a tough corner on the course for the Circuit Champs I arranged a TT-bike specific session with him for the Thursday, 2 days before the race.  This was a really valuable session and made me feel much more confident about my ability to take the corners on the course at a decent speed – rather than just trying to not lose time to others through the corners, I might actually gain some! I am especially grateful to Dave for helping me last Thursday given that he had a cast put on his leg that morning and was on crutches, hobbling around a car park giving me advice on my lines!

After a recovery spin on Friday it was time to head to Salisbury, where we would be staying with Mark’s parents to make the journey to the race on Saturday more manageable.  Luckily we had been warned that the traffic between Salisbury and Bovington Camp (where the HQ was) was likely to be terrible due to the Dorset Steam Fair and Bournemouth Air Show so we had factored in plenty of time for the drive on Saturday morning.  We arrived and did a circuit of the course in the car before I set off with Pegasus to ride a lap and practice That Corner.  I know that several people were caught out by the traffic and I hate feeling rushed when getting ready for a big event so I was glad that we had built in plenty of time – I really think It was beneficial to have ridden the course beforehand as the conditions on the day, coupled with the rolling terrain affected the way I planned to pace my ride.

I think that warming up on the turbo pre-race was the most nervous I have felt all season (or certainly close to it).  Normally, once I start my pre-race routine the nerves calm down and I just settle into a pattern that I have repeated many times before.  Last Saturday however, I felt quite sick during warm up and couldn’t seem to settle down.  I think the reason for this was that I had put a lot of pressure on myself to do well and finish on the podium.  Neither Hannah Barnes (who came 3rd at the 10) nor Anne Turvey (who was 2nd at the 25) were racing and so I felt like I should almost be guaranteed a medal, but I also know that anything can happen in bike racing; there were people on the start sheet who hadn’t raced the 10 or 25 and other riders (like Bronwen Ewing) who had just been getting better all season.  As a result I was nervous because I didn’t want to just miss out yet again.  Regardless, I had a job to do so I got on with my pre-race routine as normal and arrived at the start with about 5 minutes to spare, confident that my bike was in excellent working order and that I was as ready as I was ever going to be! Soon enough I was being held up on the start line, ready to complete 2 laps of the circuit (just over 20 miles in total). “10” start the garmin, “5, 4…” remember to breathe, “3,2,1, GO!” Mark yelling at me to “go, go, go!”.

The race went fairly well to plan.  I quite enjoy circuit courses as you normally have a good idea of where you are on the course, whereas with some out and back TTs every meter looks the same. One thing I found on Saturday is that there are pros and cons to having so many riders on the course at once (the juniors started directly in front of the women so the fields quickly became entangled); the major downside, on a course with a roundabout and a tight left-hand bend, turned out to be having riders ahead at inopportune moments which meant I had to back off a little at times.  I also found that there were times when 4 or 5 riders had all ‘bunched up’ and I was having to stay out in the middle of the road for extended periods of time.  Mark and I had spoken beforehand about where I would be catching the riders ahead of me if I was having a good race – I caught Karina Bowie (who was my 1-minute woman) just before the end of the first lap, which was what we had hoped.  After that I caught other women who had started ahead of me at fairly regular intervals.  Mark was standing at the side of the road on the longest section of the course during my second lap to give me a time-check on Rebecca Slack.  I have never beaten Rebecca before and she almost always finishes on the podium in the RTTC National TT events.  However I felt that I was capable of beating her at some point this season and so she was the rider I was having time-checks against.  As I approached Mark I could see that his hand was raised in the air – I was up on her! I then heard him shout “8 seconds” and so I went in to overdrive, pushing as hard as I could for the remaining few miles, hoping that I could keep the gap.  I finished strongly and then made my way back to HQ to look at the results.  I had done it! An 8-second difference between me and Rebecca at the finish resulted in silver for me and bronze for her – my first National TT medal.  As expected, the women’s event was won by the unstoppable Julia Shaw – another gold cap to add to her collection.  I was pleased with my performance though as I’ve gained some ground on her since the 25 in June.  My aim now has to be getting as close to her as I can next year (or maybe even beating her at some point…?!).



There are some people without whom I never would have achieved my goals this season, and in particular this silver medal.  I’ve already mentioned Dave who has not only helped me with cornering but has also been a source of support and advice when I’ve needed it.  Secondly I must thank Daimian who not only built my TT bike in the first place but also checks it over before each of my target events to make sure that it is working perfectly.  Finally, there is no way I would have achieved anything in cycling without Mark.  He might bully me and make me train when I don’t want to but without him I would probably spend all of my time sitting on the sofa eating cake.  Clearly the training plan he has written has been working, as much as I complain about how hard he pushes me.  Thanks also to all at gbcycles who have supported me this season; Steve for giving me a place on the team in the first place and always being supportive and encouraging, Stephen for sourcing me some essential components and the girls for pushing me to be a better rider.  You all deserve medals too… but you can’t have mine ;-).