Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Wednesday 11 September 2013

Ras Na Mban stage 1

Stage 1 arrived sooner than I thought, given the fact that the race didn't start until 5, before I knew it we were all assembled at the start, nervous faces, smiley faces for the camera.

We had a gentle ride down from our accomodation at the Inn at Dromond, a slight panic as one of our girls in the group punctured on route, but very quickly sorted, and we arrived in good time.

Another warm up before the start, and we we off. The song for the start of the race in my head was, 'This is it, I know the tune, but this is it are all the words I remember, so kilometer after kilometer 'this is it still is in my head.......followed by what ever I make up, until the repeat chorus!!

We hit the first little stinger, up and over with that, and still in the main bunch, happy, the sound of the bunch now whooshing in my ears, watching making sure of what's happening in front and behind, making sure I'm not drifting too far to the back, which after all is my favorite position....

We hit the 2 Nd climb of the day, this is where I along with quite a few others started to loose touch with the main bunch, Iona, Laren and Nicola stayed up in the main bunch for the climb, that said, they were still in view, and we started to form a good chasing group as we started the decent!!
There had been a crash a few 100 meters before the QOM finish, which we avoided.

I think our group was 20 ish strong, really working hard, and starting to see the main bunch, at times I was thinking , tomorrow is a tough one  do I want to really want to work this hard, but it just seemed to roll, and eventually we caught the main bunch, it was excallent work, and the girls were all working hard, and encouraging each other as we grew closer and closer to the main bunch!!

Signs for Ennis, were in sight, I was elated, to be still in the main bunch, I suspect tomorrow will be a lot different, a much tougher day, although I still for me found today tough, but tomorrow will be tough in a different way,

4 Gb Cycles girls finished in the main bunch which is great, and Michelle came through shortly after, so a good day for us girls, I'm happy, but now tired as I need to rest up for an early start!,

Thank you for a great start to the Ras Na Mban, and this, you for the great food tonight....

Sandra