Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Thursday 12 September 2013

Ras na m'Ban Stage 2 - the Corkscrew (by Karen)

This morning dawned in the traditional Irish way - very dreich and drizzly.  Just perfect for an epic bike race! Things didn't really improve as we headed from our hotel down to the start in Ennis (although at least no punctures en route this morning).
We rolled away from the start just after 10:45, for a 3km neutralised section through the streets on Ennis and out towards the Burren. Just as I had done yesterday, I used the neutralised section to move up as close to the front as I could, which sounded like it had been a good idea as the crashes started even before neutral was over.
Racing at the front of a peloton always feels like a pretty amazing place to me.  I look around and see not just the best UK riders, but also national champions and riders who have raced for their country and world championships.  But today was not a day for doubting that I belonged there, today was going to be my day!

We quickly rolled over 2 small bumps that were categorised climbs and were heading up onto the Burren when two crashes in close succession split the peloton into smithereens.  I was in front of the first one, and despite carnage all around me managed to stay upright approaching the second one, and watching a DN Bretagne girl careering into the pile of mashed up carbon and bodies at full speed.  Then it was a quick chase back on to reach the leading group of probably about 30 riders.  The carnage had allowed a few riders to slip off the front, but no one seemed all that interested in chasing them at this stage.  There was a fun descent off the first of the Burren climbs where I discovered that many girls cannot descend in wet conditions, then a switchback at the bottom to take us into the first 2nd cat climb of the day, the Corkscrew.  I had positioned myself well (about 5th wheel), and kept pace when the Canadian girl riding for DID put the hammer down.  That shed a lot of people, and over the top there were only about 15 of us left in the lead group including UK riders Hannah Barnes, Julie Erskine, Laura Massey, Liz Malins and Lydia Boylan.  Suddenly all the hard work felt as if it had paid off, as I sat in and enjoyed the ride with quality riders.  We were eventually caught back up by a second group of about 15 riders so the run in to the bottom of the final climb of the day got a bit nervy as the weaker climbers in the group tried to jostle for position to minimise their loss.  In the end it didn't matter as the same group of riders who had broke away up the Corkscrew got away again.  I didn't quite manage to hold their wheels this time, so sat close to the front of the next group, whilst letting others do the work.  That too paid off as I had plenty of legs left for the final uphill sprint, finishing 3rd out of my group, and a brilliant 14th overall.  I got my High 5 and congratulatory cuddle from Steve, then we went to the line to cheer in the others.  Nicola was in next, and had clearly had a hard day.  Then came Sandra, and finally Iona and Michelle.

It had rained all race, but to me it hadn't mattered at all.  The sheer pleasure of having a great race when it mattered and the stunning Burren scenery overshadowed the weather by a very long way.