Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Monday 10 September 2012

Ras na mBan stage 2

Stage 2, Sunday 9th September
Individual Time Trial

Iona writes... Yesterday's second stage was a short 3.4km uphill TT.  It made a difference from all the previous years' downhill TT's.  We had ridden the course the previous day.
I finished at the back of the main bunch, in 40th place, on Stage 1, so I was to set off about mid-field.  Lining up for the start, I could hear the commentator announcing the previous riders' times.  They were in the region of the low 7 minute mark and just as I was about to set off, Helen McKay went sub-7 minutes.

I set off and had a good start. I managed to get into a good rhythm.  It was only a short climb, only wished it could have been longer!  
As I got close to the top, I heard a helpful call of 200m to go!  That really helped, as despite having ridden the course before, I was still unsure as to how far off the line I was, as you couldn't see it until it was too late to push any harder.

I crossed the line in 6 minutes 44 seconds.  Now just to wait for the results.
I rode back down the climb to find that I had led the standings in the TT just briefly, before another rider went faster. 

Results out, I was hoping for a top 20, as the downhill TT of previous years has never suited me.  So I was quite pleased to find that I had finished 14th.  This meant that I now moved form 40th to 14th on GC.  

Iona