Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Sunday 23 September 2012

Dishforth Road Race (Men's 3/4th Cat)

Milby course, Boroughbridge, 23rd September 2012 Iona writes... I only decided to ride today's race after being told last week that they would include a separate points category for the women. At this stage, every point counts... only 24 to go for my 1st cat licence! A field of 50 men lined up at the start, with only myself and one other girl. I know the course well, with it having been used regularly as a TLI course a few years back. (That being before the Police cancelled all TLI races.) The pace was fast with lot's of attacking, but nothing too testing. I never felt in danger of getting dropped and I sat in and tried to keep to the front. By the last lap I got to the front. It seemed a lot easier to move up the bunch in this race than in most women's races. The riders leave massive gaps and are more willing to move over when you tell them you're coming thorough. On the narrow section of road that leads to the finish, I slipped back a bit too much in the bunch. One of the riders ahead wasn't holding his line. I was trying to move up on the inside. I knew I was further back than I'd have liked. I was in the top 15. The finish is at the top of a slight drag. The top ten distanced the rest of us slightly, and I finished trying to cling onto the remains of the leaders. I passed a couple of riders but a couple of riders came past me, so top 20 finish for sure, but was hoping for higher. I hope to find out a final result at some point. Iona