Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Thursday 6 September 2012

Gearing up for the Ras!

On Saturday we'll be travelling to Ireland for this year's Ras na mBan: a five-day, six-stage race around the Ring of Kerry. The race, which is now in its 26th year, is based in the small village of Sneem and attracts riders from across Europe.

So how are we feeling in the run-up to the race?


Iona writes...

I'm returning for my 4th year to the Ras na mBan. Last year the race stepped up a level, with the introduction of five days of racing. The competition has grown year on year.

Coomaciste, Ras na mBan 2010
The chance to race some challenging and more exciting courses compared to normal UK races is always good. 

[Ed.] The Ras really suits Iona, who is an awesome climber. We're hoping that she manages to stay away over the Coomaciste Pass this year and manages to pick up plenty of QOM points. 

Sandra writes...

My hope for the Ras na mBan is that we have a good team feeling all the way through. It's still early days following my knee surgery, but I am going into the Ras knowing I've had some great performances this season: from last weekend's criterium, where I came 4th, to a recent PB of 20:35 in our club's 8.5 mile time trial. We had a great time together as a team in Wales at the beginning of August, and also in Jersey, where we had some fantastic results.

It will be the most I have ridden since my Surgery,  but my hope is that if I take it easy and keep my own pace, whilst working hard, I'll be able to complete the Ras. But I am not setting that hope as a strict goal: I just want to feel the same performances in myself as I have done to date, little by little!!!

I'm the sort of rider that will work hard for my team mates, so that and my performance is what I'm looking at. My fear is my own mindset, and pushing too hard too early.

I'm really looking forward to riding with so many of my teammates, as we have great fun on and off the bike. Everyone encourages each other and Steve is fantastic at putting up with us, saying the right things at the right time and looking after all our needs, making sure we and our bikes are ready - fit and fighting for what lies ahead!!

Sarah writes...

This will be my third Ras na mBan and it is a race that I always enjoy.

I've had a difficult couple of months, with a number of set-backs both on and off the bike - largely as a result of six, sleep-deprived months working in A+E, whilst trying to train and race at full speed. This has come as a real "blow", as I was just coming into some decent form!

TT Ras na mBan 2011

I've spent the last few weeks trying to get my head back in the right place, letting my body recover and catching up on some sleep. This has meant that I've not been able to train as I would have liked and I've lost some strength, power and cardiovascular fitness. There was some doubt over whether I would race at all in Ireland but things are looking up and now I'm really looking forward to the race. 

I'm not expecting a spectacular performance (I'm just coming towards the end of a week of night shifts!) but I'm going into the race knowing that I've had a good season and spent two quality weeks training in big mountains. I'm going to go out there and have some fun, enjoy riding my bike in spectacular surroundings and do what I can to work for my team mates. Who knows what will happen... maybe all the rest will have helped!

Steve writes...

I am approaching the Ras next weekend with mixed feelings. Whilst it is one of the best races on the calendar, and one I always look forward to, there is a part of me that wants to be in Austria to support Stephania at the MTB XC World Championships. Let us all wish her the best for next weekend.


I am actually looking forward to the drive to Sneem, our base for the week, it is beautiful country and the scenery is stunning. The hotel is really friendly, and I am hoping to meeting up with some old friends, as well as making some new ones. The Team is great fun to be with, although a little noisy sometimes. In the past when I used to coach at Sutton CC, I had the privilege of driving Louise Mahe, Alice Monger-Godfrey, and Joanna Rowsell to races, usually Crystal Palace, and they were know as Team Decibel, because of the volume of noise they could create. I think I will have to resurrect the name for the Ras, I have the stickers for the car already!

I want everyone on the GB Cycles Team to ride to the best of their abilities, have fun doing it, and come away with a really good feeling. We should take lots of pictures for Stephen, and write some interesting views on the race for the blog. (Oh, and I’d like to move up Sarah’s list of the 10 best things about the Ras.)


Adele and Linda are also looking forward to the race! 
Follow our progress on Facebook and Twitter (@TeamGBCycles @mediconabike @sandracjm @AdeleMartin3)...