Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Tuesday 1 April 2014

Victory for Jo at Capernwray, by Karen

Just before the start

The CDNW series of races is going from strength to strength, and the 3rd race in the 2014 league took place on the Capernwray course on 30th March.  The course used to be a National Women's Series race, last used in 2012 when Karen first experienced the course.  It is a proper hilly course, so Team GB Cycles set their climbing whippets loose to run havoc with the rest of the field.


With clocks changing on Saturday night, it felt like a particularly early start, but nevertheless the sun was shining and it warmed up quickly enough, and it was shorts and short sleeves once the race got going.  The rollout and first climb of Sunny Bank was neutralised, then the flag dropped and off we went.  This was the first CDNW race I had ever done, and I must say the atmosphere in the peloton was a sheer pleasure.  We were all looking after each other and there was a bit of time for chatting and getting to know some of the other girls.  There were a few attacks in the first lap, none of which worried us at all, knowing that subsequent climbs of Sunny Bank would make the race.  Soon enough we were back round, and despite the voice in my head telling me that I didn't really want to be on the front, I ended up there and cranked up the pace, not looking back until the top of the hill to see what damage I had done.  Yes, all the usual suspects were there - Lynn Hamel, Claire Martin, Eve Dixon, Ness Whitfield and some others who I didn't recognise - a group of 10 or 11 in total.  A quick whisper to Jo acknowledging that stage 1 of the plan had been executed and a check on how each of us was feeling, and on we went.  Again, lap 2 saw a few attacks off the front, but soon enough they were pulled in with most riders taking a turn in pace setting and chasing.  Yet again I found myself on the front climbing Sunny Bank although let others take the prime.  Lap 3 went the same way again and soon enough we were half way round the last lap and another quick whisper with Jo to check how we were feeling.

Near the top of Sunny Bank
Going into the bottom of Sunny Bank for the last time, both of us were watching Lynn Hamel, expecting her to launch an attack; I was second or third wheel, with Jo coming round the outside to take the lead, and steadily she opened up a gap.  Come on Eve, Lynn - are you not going with Jo?  No movement.  OK, I'll go then, and suddenly we had a 10s then 20s then 30s gap and as we climbed it grew all the time.  I said "Jo, we've only gone and done it" to which the response I got was "we haven't yet" and we kept on pushing.  Because Jo had been sitting in the bunch for the race while I had been doing a bit more work, and because she is an amazing climber, she eventually gapped me and flew up the hill to take a brilliant win.  Lynn managed to find something to close the gap to me, but I was aware she was approaching and had a final kick left to make sure she didn't come past me.  1-2 for Team GB Cycles.  Massive hugs and smiles and a bit of couldn't quite believe that we'd done it ensued.  It was a brand new feeling and incredibly satisfying to be sitting in a peloton mid-race and knowing that there was no one in the race to be daunted by and actually really believing that we could win.  I can't wait for the next climbing whippet outing at Tour of the Reservoir on 12th April.


Jo taking the win.


Karen taking second, Lynn Hamel third.