Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Saturday 29 March 2014

March and season start!

Racing thus far!

After a weeks training in Spain at end of Feb it was back to racing with the first of a series of crits at York and Prissick circuits.

Last weekend 22nd March, it was a full weekend of racing.  While Sandra, Nicola, Linda, Steph and Kim headed to Hog Hill, which saw a field of 100 riders!
Brit and I headed north to Middlesborough for the Prissick Crit.  It was Brit's first race back after a month off the bike due to illness.
It was also the first outing of the season, for our new team shoes, many thanks to Northwave, i-ride and Geoffrey Butler Cycles!

There were 5 of us for the start of race.  Within the first 2 laps we'd lost all but one other girl.  I decided to attack, I got a gap, but she brought me back.  Then Brit attacked, and I was left having to chase back on!  Next thing the other girl attacked Brit!  I bridged across to Brit then set about reeling in the escapee!  She was strong, but eventually with 3 laps remaining we closed the gap.
Into final lap and I was leading it out, however the other rider wanted to have lead into final bend, but I came back round her, and kept lead.  Only for me to ground pedal on inside of bend.  I heard Brit yell form behind, as the other girl started to come round me, it was a head wind finish!  Having to check my speed out of corner having grounded pedal on inside of bend, I tried to keep the momentum.  But no good she had the gap, and Brit was chasing for 2nd place.  We well and truly attacked ourselves into the ground trying to get rid of our fellow rider.  Only to get beaten by her, we later found out that she was a youth rider!!! 

After race: 4:30pm and Brit and I started the road trip down to Sudbury, a 4hr drive south, to race Ipswich road race next day.  We arrived down in time for Lasange, yum, thanks Sandra!

Next day, race day!  Nic, Brit and I we're racing.  Sandra after a good race at Hog hill previous day, decided to take an easy day and not race, instead she was the all important team back up, cheering us round course!
The race came down to a bunch of 12!  The three of us tried several times to split the bunch further, but by last lap it was probably going to come down to a bunch sprint.  I got stuck on front last lap.  Brit didn't want to get boxed in.  By the time we got to final hill, before line, I went too early, Brit came off my wheel at the point I SHOULD have been starting the lead out! 
Brit still managed a well deserved 4th place, and Nicola in 5th.  I rolled in 11th after having gone way too early into the final hill!  Oh well we live and learn, we'll get it right next time. 


This Weekend

This weekend, and today's race Saturday 29th March.  Brit and I we're racing at York again today.  Jo Blackburn also came, and guest rode for us.  So as we lined up on start line, the race was handicapped, 13 against 4!  3 of us in handicapped group in Geoffrey Butler Kit!
We worked well together the 4 of us.  Until we caught the bunch.  I attacked the bunch out of the hairpin, into the tail wind finish straight.  We got rid of most of field, then i kept it going for two laps, and we finally got rid of all but our fellow Albarosa rider.  Albarosa girl was out numbered 3 to 1.  With 10 laps to go, Jo did a hard turn out of hairpin, and I just let her go! 
A few laps down, and the Albarosa girl seemed to have no intension of closing the gap to Jo!  Silly girl, you should never let a time trialist up the road!  I think she was far too concerned with marking Brit and myself to care that one of our team mates was half a lap up!
Unfortunatly Jo somehow managed to come a cropper on the hairpin with about 5 laps to go!  Think she caught her pedal on inside of corner.  Brit and I slowed as we passed Jo to check she was ok, as Jo was in middle of track on final hairpin.  It was then the Albarosa rider decides to attack us! 

Time to re asses, so Jo was out, such a shame she was on for the win! 
I was going to lead Brit out form final corner.  Perfect with tail wind finish.  Jo was still on ground in track, and we we're having to take the inside line round final hairpin carefully.  Last lap and I was on front, but Brit was third wheel, not where she needed to be!  After trying to swing off to allow Brit to come round Albarosa rider, I had to rely on Brit being able to get round her in finish straight.  Into final hairpin, I lead into bend.  Only to find the first aid guy had put his bag in the middle of the hairpin, on the inside, which was the line we had been taking previously.  There was a man in track waving us round to outside of bend, which is the line I took.  I led out sprint form that final bend.  We caught some lapped riders and I had to go wide, allowing Albarosa girl to come through on inside.  Nearing line, and i saw someone coming round me on my right, hoping it was Brit, but it wasn't!  I kicked again to accelerate a bit more, next thing, meters form line, and next thing the Albarosa girl manages to veer into me!  I have to check my speed and try stay upright!  Damn 2nd again for me!

Brit no where in sight, rolls in after us.  Turns out she managed to ride into the damn paramedics first aid bag!!!!!  I mean come on who on earth thinks it a good idea to put a bag in middle of track when there's a race going on!  Luckily Brit was ok, and stayed up right, but that was the end of any hopes for the sprint for her!

Luckily Jo too was ok, just a bit bruised and a ruined bran new skin suit, but apart form that all good!

So all in all an eventful couple of weekends racing!  Let's hope that's all miss haps out of way! 
Next stop Malta 3 day's form now, bring it on! 

Iona