Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Sunday 4 August 2013

Mallory Closed Circuit Race - 25th July

There were 8 or so women riders and so the decision was made to have a separate ladies race rather than join the men's 4th cat.  It was a steady start, which I was glad of for the extra warm up. I was starting to feel the benefits of the Mont Ventoux 'training' earlier in the month and my legs felt pretty good.  There were a few attacks which livened things up but no one was able to stay away, I put in an attack from the back of the pack to wake up my legs and see how I felt putting in an effort. 
With such a small group it meant everyone did some work on the front, some were more keen than others which is always the case, but it is a race and you never know how anyone is feeling and sometimes people may not have the legs for it.

The course was run clockwise round the track and on the shortest, flattest loop, there was still a headwind and it's quite exposed, I've never raced here when there hasn't been one.

The bunch was still together on the last lap with people trying to stay off of the front but the pace remained consistent.  I was boxed in by two other riders rounding the last but one bend, I was watching one rider who I suspected was going to put in a big attack because she had been so strong throughout.  I was right and just before the last bend she sprinted, it was an early break and I managed to move out and follow, I was gaining all the time and it was pretty close to the line.  She was a wheel or so ahead and I glanced back and saw we had put in a good distance between the us and the rest of the pack which was encouraging.  I was pleased with second place and even more with my performance and how good I felt throughout.  I'm definitely putting it down to the  'Ventoux effect'!

Linds