Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Friday 2 August 2013

A Hill in France - July 2013



Last month a group of 9 of us went to the region of Provence in France to conquer the mighty Mont Ventoux.  At a height of 1911m, it's nearly twice the size of anything we have in the UK.  The plan was to ride each of the three routes to the summit, each has a different average gradient,  Bedoin 7.5%, Malaucene 7.2% and Sault 4.5%.

I ride with this group of bikers all the time at home and it was no surprise that we'd be in competition, some people training to peak for this week.  There had been ryvita diets, new bikes, and also a bit of training in preparation. 

I'd had a great time in the Alps a few years back so couldn't wait to get out there onto the mountain.  As Ventoux stands alone, it's an impressive sight and we also anticipated some flat rides on our riding days between the hill climbs.  We were staying at a lush French villa, complete with two kitchens, 10 ( I lost track) bedrooms, a swimming pool with its very own robot.  It was luxury and almost painful to drag ourselves away from it, as well as our fresh coffee and croissants every morning, to ride.  However the scenery and countryside was stunning, fields full of sunflowers, lavender and vines, surely this is paradise.  I promise I wasn't on a 'scenic' ride every day Steve!

Our first ascent of Ventoux was from Bedoin, the steepest of all the climbs, I thought this was my best day but on reflection it was probably from Sault, I think it was just that I had fresh legs and don't mind the really steep stuff of 12%+.  I got up there behind the ryvita and mountain goat boys, beating the 'new bike' but mainly I was pleased to get to the top. 

Monday, we did a superb ride around Gorges de la Nesque, winding roads with magnificent views, I got dropped (!) but then had some bread and cheese and felt brand new again.


On Tuesday, we rode to the summit from Malaucene, I can't remember too much of this ride, or where my legs were, just that I got to the top and it was quite steep. I was chasing the group throughout this ascent as started off at the rear due to going back down the road at the start to get the start of the strava section (we had stopped just after the start of this and so wanted to get the right time).  Strava has a lot to answer for!!

Wednesday was a pool day...



On Thursday we rode to Sault, a good undulating 30 miles, I actually found this harder than the mountain.  Temperatures of 30degrees plus meant we always had a keep an eye open for water fountain without the words 'non potable' (non-drinkable), on.

A group of 5 of us started off at a pretty quick pace, I soon thought I'm going to have to ride this my way and start off steadier.  I'm sure ryvita and goat boy wanted to drop a few riders!  It is a mountain after all and I was on holiday right!? Anyway, I backed off, got into a rhythm and started to enjoy myself, the gradient was about 5% and so perfect for spinning up.  My cadence was bordering on 100, I felt good, was keeping on top of my nutrition and hydration and started to think about catching the others.  I was passing a few riders, and then looking towards the next in front.  There were lots of camper vans and people en route getting ready for the Tour de France stage coming up on Sunday, it was exciting stuff.  A French rider was particularly surprised to see me go by (hopefully at such speed) because he did a second glance and exclaimed "mademoiselle"! Only in France...
At 6k we reach the point where the road meets with the ascent from Bedoin and the gradient kicks up.  I was well warmed up and could see Timlad in the distance, he is the one responsible for getting me into cycling and is probably the most competitive person I know, he goes beyond into the red and I knew this wouldn't be easy...an understatement as it turns out.

Well, I kept Timlad in my sights and kept pushing on, on the last section of road before the summit I put in a final effort and reached Tim, and had never been blowing so much on any ride! Lack of oxygen I'm sure!  I barely got the word "Timmm" out and he said "well done gal" well within himself.  He knew I'd worked to catch him and I joking said are you going to let me have the victory... no chance! He said after he thought about it, for a millisecond I reckon, but then said it would do me no favours.  I totally agree although at the time I so wanted to get in ahead.  There was cheering from people at the summit and we dug deep to get to the top, Tim got it with a strong surge of power round the last bend, that I couldn't respond to (this time)!  All I have to say it WELL DONE TIM... And I really mean that.  :)

It helped me get Queen of the Mountains on the TT challenge on strava so I have to be pleased with that, not bad, as some of the blokes say, for a girl! 

By Linds