Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Friday 8 March 2013

Croft Coaching and Racing day

The sun was shining, the ice had cleared!  It was a super day to be out on the bike.  Everyone was in high spirits as we took to our coaching session, run by Andy Johnston and Michelle Bergstrand-Evans.

First race of the season for a team turn out for Team Geoffrey Butler Cycles with myself, Karen and Linda.


First was the coaching, which was good fun and a re cap on many things and good practice before the race.  The second half we were split into 2 groups for the handicapped race.

Michelle one of the coaches was racing with us.  Early on we worked well together putting into practice what we had done in the coaching session.  After about 6 laps we made the catch.  Linda was in this group and she quickly jumped on and joined the main bunch.  Michelle attacked a few times to stir things up a bit.  Katherine was quickly onto her wheel each time.  I chased them both down on several occasions, gradually closing the gap!  By 4 laps to go the bunch seemed to be waiting for the bunch sprint which I was happy with.  Linda was on my wheel and I tried to communicate I would lead her out.  It was a small group so by the bell lap I was happy to sit at the back of the bunch.  Linda was slightly ahead with Karen.  I was on Katherine's wheel and knew she was the one to beat in the sprint.  She kicked form the back of the bunch and I went too, as we entered the home straight.  But it wasn't to be and I had to settle for second, she kicked earlier and you need the jump on her to beat her in the sprint!  Karen and Linda fought it out for 4th and 5th, just missing out on 3rd place to Jo Blackburn, our guest rider for the Tour Ta Malta.  So a really enjoyable day, and a good team result with and 2nd, 4th and 5th place!


Written by Iona.