Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Wednesday 3 October 2012

Stephania writes about the 2012 MTB XC World Champs

My experience at the 2012 MTB XC World Championships..... 

It is always an honour to represent your country and to ride in your National colours. It was finally my turn to race the Mountain Bike World Championships in Saalfelden.  

Day 1 - Race practice

After hours of driving we arrived at our apartment over looking the mountains, in a small town called Zell am See, which was approximately 14km from the race venue. By the time we picked up the race numbers, course practice was coming to an end. We decided to walk the technical sections and ride it the next morning. After directions from the commissaries, we made it to the most difficult technical sections. "The downhills are no more extreme than our usual Nirvana cycle rides" my back up team member, Wendy, confirmed! The difference was going to be the approach. It is one thing to approach a technical section with enough oxygen in the brain, but it is another thing entirely with hardly enough oxygen to stay on the bike! "Get on with it" I thought to myself …. this is where I wanted to be, this is a world class course, and this is what I have been preparing for. After some positive talk to myself, I was actually looking forward to my practice run.
 
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Recovery & wifi spot

 
Day 2

The next day the course changed completely...a heavy thunderstorm had changed the course, making it much more technical. We decided to stay safe and take the chicken shoots. I saw other riders struggling, and this assured me that there was nothing wrong with me,... I didn't lose my technique over night, it was just the changed weather conditions. 
 
 

 





 
 
 
 
 
 
A view of the mountains

 Day 3

The sun was out, and surrounded by blue skies and white mountain tops, we headed off to the race venue. I was nervous but still in control. I was gridded with riders from Turkey, Canada, Britain and Australia. We were called one by one to the start. The atmosphere was amazing. I was focusing on a good start, psyching myself up, and getting in the right zone. The start was nothing less then fast, and soon after the gun, I found myself chasing the wheel in front. I overtook some riders and did some more chasing. It was hard work but I knew that after a couple of minutes the pace will become a rhythm and my legs will learn the pace. It didn't happen! Lost my front wheel on a simple flat corner. I jumped back on my bike but my chain was off. Lost time and it didn't take much to be left behind, with no one in sight. After a lonely chase, I started gaining over the Turkish rider. I tried to get back into the field but I was still a bit shaky and nervous after the crash. I decided to settle into a pace and build my confidence again. The course was still muddy and difficult to ride so I focused on being positive, and every time I rode a technical section I gave myself a few points. Eventually I started to relax my shoulders and enjoy the ride, but not for long. We were stopped due to the 80% rule. End result = 53rd

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Approaching the jump…the crowd was amazing!

 Day 4 Sprint Eliminator

This was the first time that the World Championships had included the Sprint Eliminator. Two laps of 560 meters, an urban course which included different obstacles such as stairs, tight corners, and a jump. It was nothing different from my Maltese urban training grounds - the Three Cities. I was in the right frame of mind, ready to give it all I had. The spectators made it more exciting then ever. I had an excellent run for my standards, finishing 48th overall but still short of qualifying for the next round. Only 32 had made it to the next round, and I was 12 seconds short. I wasn't too upset knowing that I have given it all I can at this stage in time. And, I could do it all over again... :-)

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Picture courtesy of Wendy (This is what happens when a team mechanic acts as a photographer! :-p )

I would like to thank the Maltese Cycling Federation for giving me the opportunity, to my back up team Wendy and Ruben, who were of great support, and last but not least to Steve, who helped me raise money to cover some of my expenses. (We had a stall at the Steyning Cycle Jumble, selling our unwanted cycling equipment and clothing)



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Selling stuff at the Cycle Jumble



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My back up team :-)

Links...
Sprint eliminator results...
http://www.royaldistributing.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1659:mtb-world-championships-women-s-eliminator-qualifying&catid=42&Itemid=312
XCO results...
http://www.uci.ch/templates/BUILTIN-NOFRAMES/Template3/layout.asp?MenuId=MTUyMTM&LangId=1