Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Tuesday 9 October 2012

Gravesend Crit, 7th October 2012

Sarah writes...

It was the perfect end to a not-so-perfect weekend.

We arrived at the Cyclopark in Gravesend on a beautiful, crisp Sunday morning. There was frost on the ground and a beautiful layer of mist over the fields, as the sun rose in the distance. The sky was blue and the sun was shining.

The Cyclopark is an wonderful new facility - for riders of all kinds - down in Kent. The closed-circuit race track is really quite technical, with several hairpin bends and short, steep drags. This circuit was not going to suit me in the slightest!

Legs were feeling tired after the Saturday's race at Hillingdon. I had been feeling good and we had had pretty much the perfect race until the final two laps. If only...

I had a word with the Commisaire, explaining what had happened the previous day. He assured me he would do his best to keep the two races separate (there was a men's 4th Cat race on the course at the same time as ours).

There was a quick wheel change with five minutes to go (where did that puncture come from?) and then we were off. There was a blistering pace from the start - set by Jasmijn of Kingston Wheelers. Having ridden on the front for a lap and a half, she eased up. The cue for Iona, who is on great form at the moment, to attack! She stayed away for nearly three laps, when the race came back together.

I was working so hard that I felt physically sick! I was slowing too much around the tight bends and having to sprint out of them. On top of this, there was a hard kick up every drag: barely any time to recover. I gritted my teeth and dug in. I had to stay with the bunch. Sandra was riding really strong - sitting on the front and sailing around the corners! Why did I feel so rubbish?

There were several more attacks. Iona got away again for another couple of laps. The bunch was diminishing in size. The men caught us with two laps to go. Thankfully we communicated well with each other and eased up to let them past straight away. I moved up to the front of the bunch and was 3rd wheel coming into the last few bends. There is a steep drag about 500m from the finish line, followed by a slightly less steep section running into the finish.

Superstar Iona signalled for me to get on her wheel. She attacked hard at the top of the steep drag. I hadn't a clue what was going on behind me! I could hear heavy breathing behind me, as I came off Iona's wheel into the finish. I heard her shout, "Sprint, Sarah, sprint!"

I assumed the others were catching us and I didn't want to be pipped to the line. I got out of the saddle and gave it my all. Had I really managed to cross that line first? Once Iona confirmed the result, there were celebrations! She had rolled in behind me for second place. What awesome team work! It was a superb lead-out. My first win!

I hadn't realised just how much of a gap we had got on the bunch until I saw the photos!

Two wins and a second place for the team in one weekend. Iona has now successfully gained her 1st Cat licence and according to the BC website, I have also gained my 2nd Cat. (I'll believe it when I see it!!) It just goes to show what can be done when we work together as a team!

Big thanks to Steve for supporting us over the weekend. And a big well done to Sandra, who is riding really strong, given her recent knee operation.