Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Sunday 17 June 2012

Remax Stage Race Austria, 8th to 10th June

Thursday 7th, Sarah and myself arrived in Munich, Germany to be met at airport by Elena and Klaus, who were kindly letting us stay overnight then transporting us all to Langenlois for the start of the weekend's racing. 

Glorious warm sunny weather greeted us on the Thursday.  Today we met two of Elena's team mates, Sonja and Katharina who we would be racing alongside for the race.  The fun started with the bike fit, with myself and Sarah trying Elena's and Klaus's bikes for size so we could borrow one, so we could go for a spin the day before the race started.

Friday 8th, up at 5am for the 4hr drive to Langenlois, our base for the weekend.  It rained the whole way there, but when we arrived in Langenlois, we were glad to find the sun had come out again and it was baking hot.

We arrived just after 11am, unable to get into our accommodation for the weekend, we headed out to find the HQ and collect our numbers. Numbers collected. Elena and our German team mates were able to unpack bikes their bikes and prepare for the race at 3.15pm.  Meanwhile Sarah and I took our time to do what we could to prepare for the race.  But with no bikes yet, we were a little limited to pinning numbers to jersey's and awaiting the arrival of Steve, with the team car and our 3 other team members. 

Hooray they made it!  Car unpacked bikes unloaded.  Then why does it take so long to get organised, after feeling you have all the time in the world, all of a sudden it's quick sharp, we have an hour to be down at HQ.  We roll out to HQ, I still don't feel ready, I still haven't managed to get frame number and transponder fitted to bike!  We get to HQ and I eventually find in the mass of car's, our team car where I finally get the frame number and transponder sorted!  Now I can relax and go warm up.

It's baking hot as we roll out for 3 laps of the flat twisty course, covering 100km.  Within the first couple of miles there are a couple of near misses of riders suddenly braking, but incident is avoided.  Lap one and I decide the safest place to be and easiest way to move up the bunch is on the correct side of the road.  I manage to make my way to near the front, only for the road to narrow at a left turn for a bridge, and I'm forced back through bunch to avoid crashing!

We come round to complete the first lap and hit the cobbled narrow twisting section, (I'm so glad it's not wet!)  The bunch strings out through here, as the crowds drive the riders on.

Second lap and I'm moving up and down the bunch like a yo yo, i can't seem to hold my place near the front.  But one thing is clear I'm finding it alot easier to move up than in the UK and that's despite the twitchy nature of the bunch. 

Last lap and the bunch slows as we approach Langenlois for the last time.  Then on a straight section of road there's a crash to my left, as what looks like a couple of riders come down.  I avoid this and continue, only delayed by one rider slowing in front of me to look back at crash!  It later turns out that it was Sarah who had fallen victim to that crash having another rider brake suddenly in front of her!

First right hand turn before we hit the cobbles and enter the finishing funnel, and there's another crash this time on the corner.  I ride around it and chase hard to get back on the bunch which due to crash is now strung out.  I'm passing riders and trying to move up, then it's a down hill sprint to the line.  I came in 31st.  Elena staying up front all race long, finished 20th.


Not long after the finish the heavens open, and there's a huge thunder storm, luckily we made it back to the B and B before the rain came.


Saturday 9th June, it's still raining, but no matter because today we have a mass start 12km hill climb race!

We set off and we have a flat section of road before the climb, I'm at the back and with cars coming down the opposite carriageway, not where I want to be!  We hit the climb, it rises up then levels out.  Already there are riders struggling, and I'm riding my way up the bunch.  A sharp left turn onto a new road and the climb begins.  Instantly more riders are struggling, I'm riding past them, and wondering why on earth I always seem to be so far back.  Mental note to self, always ride at front, which I already know, but never seem to quite manage it.

The climb winds up through trees, there's diesel on the road on one of the corners (glad we're not descending!)  The climb levels out and I'm in a group with 2 or 3 others, we work together on the flatter section.  But I pay for my early efforts on the lower slopes of the climb and lose contact with them with 1km to go.  I finish, a little disappointed, happy with my knowing that I can ride up hill ok, but not so happy at my own stupid bunch positioning.

Saturday 9th, afternoon stage 3 14km Time Trial.  The course was out and back, flattish with a couple of little draggy sections.  I managed a time of 21.53, which I was a bit disappointed with.  But we were all pleased to hear that Elena had managed to finish in a time of 19.42, and finished 3rd, a fantastic podium place for Elena who now moved up to 6th on GC.
Sunday 10th, 69km hilly road stage.  The rain started to fall right on time for the start.  We set off with a mad dash across a cobbled section of road in wet conditions.  I'm really not used to cobbles and it showed, again I slipped very easily to the back of the bunch.  Out of the town and the climb began, and again I was passing riders.  Over the top of the climb I can see the bunch ahead.  I make it across the gap and safely back onto the main bunch.  The route twists and turns through villages and is up and down all the way.  As we approach the end of the first lap, we reach the twisty decent back into Langenlois. 

There was an ambulance on the first corner of the decent, and a Marshall was waving to slow the bunch down.  Coming into the corner, we were all slowing, next thing I'm on the ground, my wheels having just gone from under me!  I get back up and continue, but any confidence has gone and I descend very cautiously.  It feels very slippery, I think there must have been some spilt diesel on the road, it certainly felt like that, as Nicole then came off the following lap on exactly the same corner.  I finished the last 2 laps on my own, having lost all contact with the bunch due to crashing.

Many thanks  as always, go to Steve our Team Manager for providing valuable team support, and taking the time to drive all the way to Austria.  Also thanks to Elena and Klaus for inviting us to race, looking after us and getting us there.  For what was a good weekend's racing, we only wish we could have stayed longer.

Iona