Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Thursday 14 June 2012

Linda's first race (REMAX Stage Race, Austria)

A brilliant event to have the opportunity to be part of and my first racing experience. With thanks to Klaus Weber for organising, Steve our manager, coach, mechanic and guest riders, Siobhan McNamara and Nicole Walters who both put in superb performances over the 3 days.

After two long days of driving across Europe (thanks again to Steve), 18 hours in total, one stop off at ' the only German hotel in the village', we finally made it to Langenlois with 2 hours to spare before the start of the 100k race.

It was my first race and to say I was a bit nervous (and excited) was an understatement. My race plan therefore was a) to survive and b) to stick with the bunch, I was expecting fast and furious and that's exactly what it was!  Starting at the back, thinking it safer for my newly plated collar bone, I soon discovered that keeping someones wheel was the only way to survive.  I lost contact on the 2nd of 3 laps, but had a drink from Steve and Klaus in the team car, what I thought was some 'super' energy drink but turned out to be water(!) and managed to get back on. Had a super third lap, loved it and managed to get up in the bunch a bit more, two crashes later and a lot of swerving and braking to avoid them, I'm near the back again 200m from the finish but no matter I'm pretty damn pleased to have stuck to my race plan, and manage to hold on to a wheel to cross the finish.  First race, bring on the next 3 over the next two days...

Wets roads and a fast 7k to the start of hill meant for a pretty exciting hill race, 12% at it’s steppest, it was a great change to the lap race the day  before and allowed the climbers to have some fun, Nicole worked her way through the group in a really strong ride to get a great place.

A few hours later and we’re warming up to get ready for the time trial.  Our team mate Elena Eggl put in an awesome performance to come in third.  The last day and we’re up over wet cobles onto the hilly 69k, beautiful Austrian scenery which I had some time to enjoy on account of the puncture I got on the first lap…but with a new wheel I caught up with two German riders and we powered our way round the course…awesome!! 

As we headed back to London, Steve observed:

"Five countries and rain in every one!"

"Never mind the rain, when's the next race!??"


Linda