Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Friday 18 May 2012

Team GB Cycles rider Sandra's road to recovery!

At the end of March I had an Anterior Cruciate Ligament reconstruction following an injury I sustained early December!
MRI scans showed a complete ruptur of the ACL, Fracture to the Tibia, crack to the head of the femur, and dense bone marrow bruising. I had carried on cycling and training as normal, playing 2 further games of rugby and 1 of hockey, which i think led to further damage! When you realise the extent of your injuries, it does make you stop and think.
I had an arthroscopy in the middle of Jan which was routine to check for any further bone damage, and there was, a crack to the retro side of the patella, which was filled in like a crack in the wall.

My training continued as normal, and I booked my ACL reconstruction to coinside with work and school holidays at Easter,my aim was to fit in a few time trials, before the Op.

I ended up doing 4, the first one I punctured, and had a 5 mile walk back, the second I came 2nd to Anna Grundy of look mum no hands, the third I won having taken the wrong exit at the roundabout, and the last time trial again comming 2nd to Anna Grundy. But I have to say it was nice to get those 4 time trials in, in such lovely weather.

The op went well, and I threw away the cructhes from day 2, I was very lucky to have use of a game ready Ice and Compression machine, which was bliss and controlled the swelling immensley http://www.gameready.co.uk/.

Day 12 I went to have the staples taken out and the incision hadnt healed so it started to fall apart, so a trip back to see Professor Kevin Chea to check there were no infections was done, and he was amazed at my recovery, and my walking, and said "Walk as much as you like" maybe wrong choice of words!

Four days later I was back for my check up with Kevin, and I faced a cross surgeon, who said Id over done it, the punishment was having my knee drained, not very pleasent! What he told me is this, "When I said you could walk as much as you liked, Most people cannot, so dont over do it!"

Week 4 I was on the turbo, just 20 minutes easy spinning,along with doing pilates, and all the propriosceptive work advised. I was also back at work at this point too!

End of week four I ventured out with two of my best friends looking after me, out on the suffolk roads on my trusty cyclocross bike called Paul, as the roads were slightly flooded, it was just so nice to get outside, and there was no pain to the knee, just amazing how much strength has gone in it.

Week 7, and I had another visit to Kevin, who was amazed and very pleased at my recovery, he said normally people are 50% recovered but you are 75/80% its amazing! But please ease back a bit, now you are so far ahead.

I have been given the all clear to ride out on the road now!!!! ;-) , and do some hill work or inclines!! On the whole its nice to get out,and I really appreciate being able to get out and ride, also there is alot of strength that needs building up, but I have to take each day as it comes, but so far so good.
In 3 weeks time i am allowed to start the use of free weights, and also my 1st club 10TT to see how it goes.