Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Sunday 27 May 2012

Surrey League RR, Henfold Hill

"To race or not to race?" Again, the same old question was playing on my mind. After a very tiring run of six shifts, working in A+E, I was absolutely shattered... but I'd been given the day off to race and so really ought to race! Steve agreed that I should go for it and described the course as "a bit up and down" (but failed to mention the 17% climb!!)

Thankfully the traffic on the M25 wasn't too bad and I arrived at the HQ in time, albeit rather frazzled. I had planned to ride the course beforehand but Garmin failed to navigate onto the course and instead I ended up riding up and down a busy dual carriageway!

It was a scorching hot day - 30C according to Garmin - it certainly felt like it. I was struggling to get enough fluid down and my body just didn't want to work hard!


The race was 45 miles - 5.5 laps of an undulating circuit with 3 climbs on each lap, including the 17% section. It was a fairly small field - 21 in total - as the Hillingdon GP was taking place on the same day and had attracted most riders.

I had underestimated this race! Attacks came thick and fast, the pace remained high over the climbs and despite the small field, there was some serious racing going on! I was struggling in the heat and just didn't have the legs today... There were a few moments when I thought I had ended up in a break that was going to stick but the bunch was working well together and no one managed to get away for much more than half a mile.

On the final lap, I managed to position myself well for the climbs and going into the final corners, setting myself up for the sprint. (I'm really not a sprinter!) I was really pleased to finish in 6th place overall, despite the heat, feeling exhausted and heavy legs.

Steve was also pleased and asked me whether I would have raced if he'd told me there was a 17% climb on each lap of the course...!!

Sarah