Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Wednesday 22 August 2012

Steve and Steph's exciting weekend


Steve writes...
It was a weekend of early starts for Stephania and me. Up at 5 am on Saturday to head to Steyning for a stall at a cycle jumble: an effort to make some money to help pay for Stephania’s trip to compete for Malta in the MTB XC World Championships.  Well worth the early start as we made enough to pay for part of the trip to Austria.
Next up was the Kingston Wheelers Club 10, which was on the G10/42 course near Dorking, and conveniently on our way back from the jumble. It was a hot day, but Stephania was loving it, “just like back home in Malta” she said, as I melted into the tarmac. A start midfield, and on her road bike with clip on tri bars, she set off whilst I decided to find some shade and a drink of water. The plan was to ride just at threshold, and keep her pace judgement steady, we had a XC race the next day. Having rested in the shade I thought I had better get to the finish and see her come home. Just as well I was a bit early as Stephania seemed to have done a good time, better than I was expecting. We met up just off the course and I asked her how it had gone. “I didn’t seem to get my power right, I was either spinning out, or pushing too big a gear, but at least I feel OK, and the heat was no problem for me.” I had a look at my watch and worked out what I thought her time was, and checking with Frank, the time keeper, confirmed that Stephania had just done a PB for this course, which shows how well she is going, and boded well for the following day's XC race.
Another early start, car loaded, and off to pick up Stephania for the Mountain Bike XC race at Checkendon, run by the RAT MTB club and 1st Gear Cycles. We were entered in the Elite Women’s race, and somewhat disappointed to find she was the only entrant. The Chief Com, Calvin, knew of Steph’s racing abilities, and decided to put her in with the Elite Men, although she would be doing one lap less. A fast start, and good consistent laps, meant that she finished in a great time for the course, even beating one of the Expert Men, who started a minute behind the Elites. The course was very muddy, despite the 30 degree temperatures, but did not stop a great race. No bad falls or serious injuries, just a few torn tyres and mechanicals.
Feeling lonely on the podium but pleased with the ride
A brilliant weekend, fantastic performances by Stephania, and topped off with a pub lunch on the way back, made for a great weekend of racing.