Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Tuesday 24 July 2012

Duncan Murray Wines Road Race (Women's Team Series)

It was unusual for us to race in dry conditions. It seems that summer is here, well, at least for a while, as they say :)

There were 3 of us racing for GB Cycles, Iona, Linda and myself. Our plan was to finish in the best position we could. There were over 50 riders at the start, but the two significant hills on the course diminished the leading bunch to approximately 30 riders.

It was a little annoying when, with one lap to go, the comissaire stopped us on the side of the road to let the men's race go through. I was a little concerned that my muscles would not respond in the final sprint. Luckily the race was neutralised for 1 mile so we all had time to warm up for the final sprint. On the last climb to the finish I found myself chasing wheels and trying to overtake riders who were having some trouble holding the wheel in front. Doing this I obviously wasted some valuable energy that could have possibly gained me some extra places in the sprint. Well, I guess that's what road racing is all about... being in the right place at the right time!

All 3 of us finished in the lead bunch, gaining us some valuable points in the team standings, and we are now in 8th place. I finished the race in 15th place and therefore gained a whole one point on my road racing license! Hurray :-p !

Once again it was a safe race, thanks to the organisers and marshals involved.

Next weekend I will be racing in my Maltese National Jersey at the last round of the MTB XC World Cup in Val D'Isere. I'm looking forward to experiencing my first World Cup race this year.

Steph