Iona at Peterborough Crit

Iona at Peterborough Crit

Sunday 29 April 2012

Yorkshire Day at the Races 2

Saturday 28th April, I arrived at Tockwith circuit for, Yorkshire Day @ The Races 2.  Within 10 minutes of driving up at the circuit the heavens had opened!

The race set off in the pouring rain, and for the first lap or so, I really didn't feel like my heart was in it today.  But as we got going, and got warmed up a little more, (well as warm as I was likely to get given the constant rain) things got better and I tried to get off the front a few times, but no luck.
All attempts form anyone to get away today didn't work, by the time we got to 8 laps to go, I think most were waiting for the sprint finish.

I found myself on the front a few times, later on in the race, so just tried to keep pace going, as the bunch was bunching up a lot and the corners were becoming a little dodgy!

With 3 laps to go Cath Wiggins attacked, like I knew she probably would.  Think another benefit was her just trying to string it out around the corners, it made it a lot safer, as she did the same with one lap to go too.

By this point I couldn't see a thing!  The rain was worse than ever and I was having to peer through my lenses, trying hard to judge where everyone was around me!

I found myself quite far back going into the last lap, but I managed to move half way up the bunch once we entered the headwind section before the last corner.

Coming into last corner, I saw Cath go on the inside, I went to get on her wheel, but Alice Barnes blocked her path through, and I found myself mid bunch on the inside round last corner.  Out of the last corner, the bunch went to the left of the track and me on the inside on the right, found that a massive gap had opened up.  I kicked and was passing people, I must of passed 10 riders in that last finishing straight, and as I crossed the line I was amazed to realise I'd just finished in 3rd place!  I was quite pleased as I hadn't expected to get a result in such wet horrid conditions, and glad that I hadn't had a wasted journey, even if I only did have 30 minute drive to get there today, unlike my usual 5 to 6hr round trips to races!

Now for next weeked and the Bedford 2 day!

Iona